U-krah-ee-nay!
....was the cheer of the crowd gathered in the Fan Mile last night for the Ukraine vs. Swiss game. Xenan (100% ukrainian) and myself (25%), joined by katherine,went over to the Fan Mile. As it wasn't the most popular match, we got a spot right up near the huge TV screen. The screen is set up right in front of the famous Brandenburg Gate! So fun!So, germany is amazingly environmentally friendly--even Berlin! Some things I love:
-4 different recycling containers in the U-bahn stations (red, yellow, orange, green)
-take your plastic water bottle back to your grocery market and you get about a complete refund
-shop for groceries using an inexpensive, cloth bag that you buy at your store.... so none of the multiple plastic bag bagging that is all over at home
-only buy what you need--at or local grocery store, you have to pay a Euro if you want to use the shopping cart!
- the amount of walking and biking! bikes are EVERYWHERE... at any given moment, you might just get run over by a herd of them
there isn't much air conditioning.. not even at the upscale theater we went to last week. however, most of the days have been sunny and just the perfect temperature.. and no rain yet!
My favorite meal yesterday: Katherine and I both enjoyed Mozerella and Tomato sandwiches on large, superfresh, sesame rolls at a hype turkish cafe down the block.
Had a tour of Kreuzberg last evening. Though this area is very turkish, immigrants from many countries live here, and came for various reasons. Found out there is a small zoo right down our block. It has just a few horses, geese, and goats.. but the point is so that local kids see some animals, as they live in such an urban setting.
The Berlin Wall- there is a specific line of red bricks that run the entire path where the Berlin Wall stood around West Berlin. I've walked over it numerous times. Fascinating.
Thank you so much to everyone reading! It's a pleasure to share some of my experience with you!


1 Comments:
Jayne! Good question on my blog :) I realize my details were a little confusing/lacking...though truth is I didn´t know what I was heading into.
I absolutely love reading your details...what an enchanting whirlwind. I was hoping you´d updated. Mouth waters reading about some of the food! Yay for recycling too - working with a recycling group here. We´ll have to bring some of these environmentally friendly practices back with us...
Ok, soak it all up-wonderful to hear how you are - along with the other Jayne Swank fans, thinking of you there!
Post a Comment
<< Home