Sunday, July 16, 2006

quick update!

Just recently got back from the run. The first one I've done in berlin since we typically walk many miles every day in this city.
Soooo glad for the finally cool(er) air. Germany doesn't believe in Air Conditioning, and it has been very hot up until now, which has been a bit of a challenge for the last month or so.

Last night Katherine and I attempted to go to Don Giovanni at the Comishe Oper, which is a big thing in berlin. However, the only tickets left where a bit steep... so we opted to check out the movie theater in Potsdamer Platz. We wound up seeing a very interesting german film, "Das Leben den Anderen" (the life of the others) about the Stasi in the former DDR (east germany) and a german playwright with political ideas that threatened the Stasi-- a very real theme for Germany.

I realize I haven't talked about food in a while...
Kaffee und Kuche (coffee and cake) - is a very traditional thing for Germans, a great afternoon treat that I will never tire of
Schultheiss Pilsner is a very tasty beer- had one at a Biergarten tucked away in some trees right off a main city-street, so neat!
Marzipan croissant from the corner bakerie = delicious.

Tomorrow I am going to Sachsenhausen with my class. It is a former concentration camp right outside Berlin. I don't want to go in that obviously, it will be very difficult to experience. however, i think it will be also a very changing event, and another experience to better learn about part of the long, historic struggle of the Jews in Germany.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home